Trott Statement on U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)
WASHINGTON, DC: Today, U.S. Representative Dave Trott (MI-11) released the following statement after the House passed H. Res. 990, a resolution introduced by Rep. Clay Higgins (R-LA) that supports the officers and personnel who carry out the important mission of the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
"I was proud to support a House resolution today in support America’s border security officers-- these brave men and women put their lives on the line every day to keep our country safe. U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) stops dangerous criminals, human/drug traffickers, potential terrorists, and so much more from entering our country. It’s disappointing that many have tried to score political points by calling for the abolishment of this critical national security agency. It’s important that Congress shows strong bipartisan support for the personnel who bring law and order to our nation’s borders." said Rep. Trott
- In 2017, ICE arrested more than 127,000 aliens with criminal convictions or charges (76,000 dangerous drug offenses, 48,000 assault offenses, 11,000 weapons offenses, 5,000 sexual assault offenses, 2,000 kidnapping offenses, and 1,800 homicide offenses
- It made 4,818 gang-related arrests
- It seized more than 980,000 pounds of narcotics
- It seized 2,370 pounds of fentanyl and 6,967 pounds of heroin
- In 2016, ICE arrested nearly 2,000 human traffickers.