A Balanced Budget for a Stronger America
Every mom and dad in Southeast Michigan will tell you that they can’t spend more money than they take in each year. They have to balance their budgets—and so should Washington.
That’s why this week, I supported a responsible, balanced budget for the United States that reduces the debt and balances the budget within the decade. A balanced budget will create a healthier economy and make it easier for hard-working Michigan families to make ends meet.
It’s time that we start forcing Washington to finally live within its means.
This budget is a stark contrast to the spending plan sent to Congress by President Obama earlier this year. The President’s budget “add more than $6 trillion to the national debt (US News),” “would raise at least $1.5 trillion in new taxes (Wall Street Journal),” and “abandons any pretense of pursuing a balanced budget - now or ever (CBS News).” Under the President’s plan, the federal government would continue growing the debt indefinitely.
It is time we stop growing the federal government. It is time we stop spending away our children’s futures.
Below is an overview of how the balanced budget I supported will provide for a stronger fiscal future and a stronger America.
The House budget plan:
- Balances the budget in less than 10 years without raising taxes, in contrast to the President whose budget never balances
- Cuts $5.5 trillion in spending – higher than the well-known “Ryan Budget”
- Calls for a fairer, simpler tax code to promote job creation and a healthy economy
- Places the country on a path to paying off the debt by growing the economy and making government more efficient, effective and accountable
- Repeals Obamacare in full – including all of its taxes, regulations and mandates
- Secures reforms key programs like Medicare, and stops Obamacare’s raid on our seniors’ retirement
- Calls on Congress to pass a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution
- Restores federalism and rejects the notion that Washington knows best and devolves power back to the states
As you can see in the charts below, this balanced budget plan brings our nation on a new course toward fiscal stability:
(Source: House Budget Committee)
I came to Washington to make the tough choices and put in place the needed reforms to get our country back on track. It won’t be easy, but America’s future depends on it.
I remain committed to ensuring we reduce the debt, balance the budget, and give our kids a shot at the American Dream.
Please share with me your thoughts and opinions, by emailing me here.
More Resources on the Balanced Budget Plan